Just one week ago we were entering a new year. It already seems like an “eternity” has passed since then.
Events in life and in a nation as well as the world cause us to think and consider many things. I am sure there are many things on your mind today. There may be doubts and uncertainty. Certainly there are questions.
In the midst of it all, it is critical that we come to the right conclusions. Perhaps
the following thoughts can guide you in that.
Who to go to.
In times of question and unrest we must go to the right source. We
have that source—it is the Creator, our God and Father. We are all tempted to go to someone we know and trust and ask our questions hoping to get “the answer”. While good and godly people can instruct and guide, it is imperative that we first and foremost go to God. People we know can do little to make a massive and immediate change.
But God can! It is important to remember what you know in times of crisis.
This is what you already know:
- Psalm 22:28 For kingship belongs to the Lord, and He rules over the nations.
- Psalm 47:8 God reigns over the nations; God sits on His holy throne.
- Psalm 93:1 The Lord reigns; He is robed in majesty; the Lord is robed; He has put on strength as his belt. Yes, the world is established; it shall never be moved.
- Psalm 96:10 Say among the nations, “The Lord reigns! Yes, the world is established; it shall never be moved; He will judge the peoples with equity.”
- Psalm 103:19 The Lord has established his throne in the heavens, and His kingdom rules over all.
- 1 Chronicles 16:31 Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice, and let them say among the nations, “The Lord reigns!”
We should go to God’s Temple and see Him.
- Isaiah 6:1 In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple.
What to believe.
There is a sense in which we do not know exactly what to believe.
Everybody has an opinion. There can be and often are distortions, falsehoods and even lies. Agendas can drive the reports that we hear. There is great distrust regarding what we hear is reported.
So what do we believe? There is only one genuine source of all truth—the BIBLE!
- Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.
- John 17:17 Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
- Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
We should believe God’s Word.
It will give us a view from eternity. It is authoritative, sufficient for every need, unalterable, unfailing and comforting.
- Isaiah 40:8 The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.
What to do.
We all want to do something that will make a difference. And we can and should.
- Matthew 28:19-20 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
- Titus 2:13 waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 5:7 for we walk by faith, not by sight.
- Philippians 2:10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17 pray without ceasing.
We should do what we know is right.
They are basics of our Christian faith such as praying, witnessing, living as salt and light, praising Jesus Christ and worshipping the One who is on the Throne.
Right thinking will lead you to the right conclusions. You will not go astray as you consider and apply these elemental but essential thoughts.